He will be missed…
Days later, the rock legend’s death certificate listed his cause of death as “deferred,” which meant officials were still waiting on autopsy results.
Fast forward to Friday, the results are in, and the Free Fallin’ singer passed away due to “mixed drug toxicity.”
According to TMZ, the musician died from an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking several medications including Fentanyl patches, oxycodone (Oxycontin), temazepam (Restoril), alprazolam (Xanax), citalopram (Celexa), acetyl fentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl.
At the time, Petty suffered a number of medical problems, including emphysema, knee problems, and a fractured hip, made worse by his demanding tour schedule.
On the day of his heart attack, family members say his hip gave out, which may have led him to overtake his medication.
Additionally, when Petty went into cardiac arrest, medical officials were able to revive him until he lost pulse for 20 minutes during the ambulance ride to the hospital. When he arrived, he went into cardiac arrest again, and eventually passed away 21 hours later.
The report also says he suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis.
[Image via JLN Photography/WENN.]